Lorca’s Poetic Practice from Poemas en prosa to Poeta en Nueva York, by Andrew A. Anderson.
These ten essays by Andrew A. Anderson about Lorca’s Poemas en prosa and/or Poeta en Nueva York are all concerned, in one way or another, with issues of content, technique, and style, as well as the challenges they present to literary-critical analysis and interpretation. Juan de la Cuesta Hispanic Monographs is pleased to offer this collection of essays, written between 1991 and 2020, together for the first time, organized thematically.
Andrew A. Anderson is Professor of Spanish in the Department of Spanish, Italian and Portuguese at the University of Virginia. He holds a B.A., M.A. and D.Phil. from Oxford University. Before coming to Virginia, he taught at Oxford University and the University of Michigan. Specializing in later nineteenth-century and twentieth-century Peninsular literature, his research is principally concerned with Spanish poetry and theatre from the 1890s through to the 1930s, as well as literature and film of the Spanish Civil War.
He published the first critical edition of the original manuscript of Lorca’s Poeta en Nueva York in 2013. Other publications delve into the origins and foundation of the Spanish historical avant-garde movement and document and analyze the reception of Cubism, Futurism, and Dada in Spain in the 1910s and 20s.
Table of Contents:
1. Lorca at the Crossroads: “Imaginación, inspiración, evasión” and the “novísimas estéticas”...19
2. Sebastià Gasch y Federico García Lorca: influencias recíprocas y la construcción de una estética vanguardista...43
3. Dalí y Lorca en diálogo: “Corazón bleu y coeur azul”...65
4. García Lorca’s Poemas en prosa and Poeta en Nueva York: Dalí, Gasch, Surrealism, and the Avant-Garde...77
5. Paysage d’Âme and Objective Correlative: Tradition and Innovation in Cernuda, Alberti, and García Lorca...103
6. Imagery and How It Works in Lorca’s Poeta en Nueva York: the Case of “1910 (Intermedio)”...127
7. Lorca’s “Tu infancia en Menton”: A Reading...151
8. Et in Arcadia Ego: Thematic Divergence and Convergence in Lorca’s “Poema doble del Lago Edén”...167
9. Lorca’s “Cielo vivo,” the Other Lake Eden Poem...191
10. Un puente entre dos poetas: García Lorca y Hart Crane...205
ISBN 978-1-58871-384-1 (PB, 222 pp.) $30